Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Big Freeze and The Melt Down






You probably know the what the weather situation has been in Kentucky last week if you have heard the news. We were all iced over, iced in, and without power. I am really grateful that we were without power for only a little more than two days. We all slept in the same room with a generator producing the energy to keep our space heater going and us as well. We used the power of body heat to keep us warm also. Each child had their own space on the floor where their little bed of blankets was made. We ended up with at least 2 in bed with us each night. The kids had wonderful attitudes the whole time. Zane couldn't do anything at work so he went around getting us a generator, hooking up other generators for friends, fueling up our propane heaters, and just keeping us going. There were many positives and blessings throughout this experience:

*Many of the stores still had power so were were able to go out and get a hot meal and more groceries.
*Friends and families came together and made the best of the situation and helped each other.
*I taught the boys some card games and we had so much fun trying to win at solitaire.
*Our wind up radio worked and provided nice music to fall asleep to at night.
*We now have a new generator and many many flashlights!
*It was a good trial run and really helped to prepare me for any future situations.
*I know my mother in law thought I was crazy whenever I said this, but it was absolutely beautiful to see all the ice and snow. It was like we were living in a beautiful frozen wonderland (that snapped trees and made the power go!)

A few downers:

*Dropped my cell phone in the sink while doing dishes in the dark and it no longer works (for now).
*Many trees were split and damaged from the freezing rain.
*It will probably cost an arm and leg to get this all cleaned up.
*The boys will probably have a million makeup days for school and may just end up eliminating summer vacation! Let's hope there is some mercy for this!
*With the power surge, our computer won't start up and I am using Zane's laptop.

I am so grateful to all the men who came from all over to fix the power lines. Whenever we see them out working on the lines, we honk and wave to thank them for coming to our rescue.

3 comments:

Monica said...

I've been waiting for you to blog-on. I was wondering how you and yours were faring. I'm glad you made it through. I will put a prayer in for mercy and the summer vacation... : )

Tanya said...

What an experience, both good and bad! Glad to know you pulled through. Your pictures are beautiful. I agree with you. It is beautiful to look at, but not comfortable to live in.

Elizabeth Jeffries said...

You got some really great pics of the ice. Loved them.