Thursday, July 10, 2008

Update on Mal


That little girl keeps ticking and isn't bothered much by her hand it seems. Although when we got her out of her crib yesterday, she had pulled the dressing off of her hand. Aghhhh...I could see stitches and blood and knew that it would have to be fixed. Zane put a makeshift wrap of gauze on her hand and we headed down to her hand doctor. Two and a half hours later she was getting it re wrapped. This time the doctor (a different one than the one that performed the surgery) wrapped it in three layers of an even stronger material, leaving her thumb, forefinger and pinkie out so that she had some freedom. Since the wound had been exposed, they cleaned it and were able to see that it seemed to be healing nicely. And, now they want the bandage kept on for three weeks instead of two. Thank goodness this bandage is a lot better and harder to get off, so maybe it has a better chance of lasting three weeks. I was wondering how that other was going to make it the two because 24 hours after she got it on, she was biting at the tape and trying (although playfully) to get it off. So, wish us luck with the new one and also with keeping this girl out of water. She has already tried to climb in the pool outside and the bath while it was running!

11 comments:

Jessie said...

Maybe she will leave this one alone because she has some freedom for her fingers that aren't hurt! I wish I had a suggestion for the water, if she is anything like Emmy it must be a pretty difficult feat! I call her my water baby, because she is obsessed.

Noelle said...

Traci,
I'll bet Paul and Andrea could use your 2nd car/walker. Jonas is just 3 weeks younger than Rachel, and he would probably find that useful.

I'm glad that Mallory is doing well with her injury. That must have been the scariest thing for you guys to go through. You are champs!

Brett and Amy said...

I'm a little behind on the scoop, as I just got caught up reading your last couple posts (sad, because I saw Brett commented a couple days ago, yet I knew nothing). Anyway, I am so sorry for her and you having to go through that. I laughed (sorry, not the time for laughing)at the pulling over for Gage's bathroom emergency, of course, kids have such great timing. I'm glad she's doing better, she's so darn cute.

Tanya said...

Mom called me at girls' camp to tell me what happened. I am soooo sorry for Mallory & yourself. Your boys did a great job! It's amazing what you can do when you have to, way to go!

Jeffrey and Monica said...

what a little trooper! I have to admit, I would probably try to bite that wrap off also!

Julie said...

There's not much that slows little Mallory down. She is so blessed to have such good care.

Kristi said...

My word. I almost passed out when you told me the story of little Mallory's finger. I am so relieved she is okay. You have a tough little cookie!

Jen said...

Okay, what is wrong with me? I am sitting here crying for little Mallory and for your whole family. I really started crying when the boys couldn't even eat because they were worried about their little sis. How sweet. I'm so sorry that happened!! I'm glad it was all fixed okay and that she is doing so well.

That seems to be quite a common accident for that little age group. I'm sure Hallie is next. She loves to stand up in the chair. I need to be more careful. Again, I'm glad everything is okay.

Karyn said...

Oh Traci I was so sorry to read your story about little Mallory but so happy to hear she is on the mend and the doctors don't think there will be any long term damage... gee that must have been sooo scary. A few months back Spencer ran head first into a toy vending machine and cut his head open. We thought he would need stitches but thankfully he didn't. He too was such a brave little boy... they are resilient little things - they cope better than us!

Hope she is doing ok and I am thinking of you guys xox

Karyn said...

Oh Traci I was so sorry to read your story about little Mallory but so happy to hear she is on the mend and the doctors don't think there will be any long term damage... gee that must have been sooo scary. A few months back Spencer ran head first into a toy vending machine and cut his head open. We thought he would need stitches but thankfully he didn't. He too was such a brave little boy... they are resilient little things - they cope better than us!

Hope she is doing ok and I am thinking of you guys xox

jamie said...

i'm so sorry about Mallory! Abe told me about it in Utah. I just got back from my vacation and checked out your blog. What an experience, but you pulled it off superbly. I would have freaked out and went into a comatose state i think!! Hey, we need to get together I have your dvd player (thank you, thank you, thank you!) and some other items that have trickled into my home. :) let's talk soon.