As I was making lunch for the kids, Mallory climbed up on a kitchen chair and the next thing I remember seeing was her chair falling down and her hanging on for dear life. The boys say she was hanging on the back of it and rocking. It went down and when I picked her up there was blood everywhere. I thought it was her mouth, but when I looked closer it was two of her right hand fingers. One was severed (almost completely), but still there and the one next to it was bleeding and cut badly. I started to freak out a little not knowing who to call, what to do, or where to go. I loaded the kids in the car with them carrying their plates of food and we headed to the Urgent Care. I wasn't sure we would make it to the ER without Mallory touching it and causing more damage. I asked Trevor to watch her and when we could see that she might pull at it, he said a prayer that she would leave it alone and we just DROVE. When I got there, I could see that they weren't going to be able to handle this and I really needed to head to the ER. I almost felt dumb for thinking the urgent care would be enough, but the nurses there wrapped it for me and I realized it was a blessing we stopped because I don't know if we would have made it in our condition the entire drive to downtown. The nurses had also called Kosair Children's Hospital to let them know I was coming as well. Did I mention that I couldn't get a hold of Zane this entire time? He had left his phone in a house that he was building and I was able to talk to a Hispanic worker who could only tell me that this was Urbane Homes phone! Aghhhhh! Finally, on the way to the hospital Zane called me as we were actually pulled over on the side of I-71 because Gage had a bathroom emergency!!!! Once we were at the hospital I felt a lot better. They gave Mallory some pain medicine which made her a bit loopy, but happier. When the doctor finally saw it he said that she would need a hand surgeon and they would call one over from the Jewish Hand Clinic right away. After x-rays and consulting with the hand surgeon, it was determined that Mallory had several fractures in each of these two fingers, her fingernail would be lost, and with minor surgery there was good hope that her finger would be saved and long lasting damage would be very minimal. They would sew up her finger and this would help the fractures heal and the nail bed looked good and was most likely not completely damaged. Grandma Betty came and got the boys at 4:30. This had been a long day for them so far and Trevor and Boston were so worried for Mallory. Betty said they wouldn't eat after she had bought them dinner because their stomachs were upset. I think they were stressed and didn't know what they could do to help, but they said many prayers the entire time and were brave when they needed to be brave. That was so much help. Zane and I stayed and watched Mallory's surgery. It was amazing that I wasn't grossed out by it all and really wanted to watch and make sure she was all right. I was impressed by Zane because he can't even stand getting his blood tested or taken and he was right there along side me. I guess you are strong when you need to be. When she finally woke up at 7 pm we were able to take her home. They wrapped it really well and told us to avoid getting it wet. She will see the hand specialist in two weeks to have it unwrapped and looked at. It will be then that we will know what to expect in terms of healing. It only took about an hour at home and she seemed like she was back to her old self. She has been running around bonking people with her wrapped hand and laughing. It is her right hand and she is learning to do things with her left hand and having the right assist. I was amazed that she slept through the first night just fine and that she continues to act as though nothing happened. What a strong little girl. The doctors and nurses kept commenting on how amazing she was. She rarely cried and put up with many people unwrapping her hand and looking and it. I am so thankful for modern medicine and that Louisville is THE place to go for hand injuries. I am most thankful that she is running around and smiling again. I am thankful to the friends who thought of Mallory and the gifts and good wishes. If she doesn't realize it, we do and I like playing with her new dolls and reading all the new books! A rare smile while waiting for the doctor.
With the pain medicine she was a little loopy.
Me and Mallory after surgery.
Mallory's hand wrap.
Eating icecream the next day.
How Did God Bless Me Today?
14 years ago
8 comments:
I cried while I was reading your post. I love that Trevor prayed that Mallory wouldn't touch her fingers during the drive to urgent care.
You can and should call me anytime. I would have zipped over to get your boys. I am so glad that she is doing better. She sure looks cute with her wrap.
Poor thing! I am glad that everything went okay! I can only imagine how you were handling the situation while putting on a brave face for your boys! What a cute girl!
As I was reading your post I kept thinking how grateful I am for modern medicine to treat incidents like that, and how Louisville is probably the best place to be for hand injuries. Then you included it in your post too. I am glad that Mallory is doing well, and I'm glad that you're hanging in there too. Please let me know if I can be of any help to you at all. We will definitely remember Mallory and your family in our prayers.
Holy Cow guys! If you need anything we're just up the hill.
Aww, I almost want to cry every time I hear that story! But Mallory is a trooper! That's why we love her!
Traci,
I am so sorry to hear about your baby girl. I know it breaks your heart when anything happens to your babies. I am glad that everything turned well, and that heavens for the power of prayer! Love you guys!
oh Traci,
so sorry. It sounds like you handled everything well. Poor Mallory. I love the finger in the nose shot. We'll keep her in our prayers.
Poor little girl! Best wishes for a quick recovery. You made me cry.
I must admit I flashed back to when I cut my finger at BYU and you couldn't even glance my direction. We ended up going upstairs to some crazy Brazilian that dumped whatever he wanted on it and wrapped it up.
You did MUCH better this time. :)
Love to the babe and the mom, hang in there!!
Post a Comment