Saturday, July 26, 2008

Adios Grandma and Grandpa

I took my mom to the airport early this morning, so life is going to get back to normal. No more being spoiled and I can live with that - barely. My mom and dad came in to town last week and stayed a few days before they headed to Cincinnati to visit my brother's family. Before they left we took them to the Frazier Arms Museum. My dad loved looking at all the weapons and exhibits and I would have too if Mallory and Gage wouldn't have been as crazy as they were. But the museum did have one exhibit for kids - Survivor Jamestown - which they loved. You go around making decisions like the early settlers did in Jamestown and see if, by your choices, you could survive your first year in Jamestown. They got to rock climb and zip line. That was the funnest part for the kids although the older boys did love the English swords upstairs too. My parents came back Monday night from Cincinnati and on Tuesday we took them to Squire Boone Caverns in Corydon, IN. It's my goal to go to all the caves in the area -Mammoth Cave and Squire Boone are it so far with Carter Caves, Marengo, Wyandotte, Cub Cave, Lost River, KY Down Under, Hidden River, and a few others still to go - and take whoever is visiting with us. Anyone who wants to help me on this goal can! This was so much fun for everyone although the metal winding stair case you have to go down to enter the cave is a bit freaky. I got a little vertigo going down and just had to take one step slowly at a time. Once down, it is absolutely gorgeous inside. It is said that this is where Squire Boone hid out when he went to rescue his brother, Daniel, from Indians. He and Daniel came back there and built a grist mill near by. They also have a little village set up with candle making, soap making, etc. but that was a little lame and I felt like I was back in Gatlinburg, TN all over again. But, the cave itself redeemed the visit and we all loved it. Mallory fell asleep in my dad's arms and he had to carry her around the entire cave and up many flights of stairs. His arms will remember that trip fondly. My dad left Wednesday and my mom stayed. The two of us got in a few outings on our own for the remaining three days she had here to Hobby Lobby, Panera, Target, TJ Maxx, and to see "Mamma Mia." She also made me a beautiful apron from this pattern. I was spoiled and it was so nice. I have been a little sad because we had no plans to go anywhere this summer and if you know me (a Travel and Tourism Major - yes, it's a real major), then you know that I always have a trip planned or at least one I am hoping to take, but it was so nice to have them here and not have to pack our suitcases and just go around the area. Now, they are back in the glorious non humid weather of San Diego, but I sure did enjoy having them here and so did the kids.





6 comments:

Brett and Amy said...

Sounds like you had fun. I'll totally tag along on your quest for cave adventure. While my youth presented circumstances for spelunking, I have yet to warn my wee ones the danger of stubbing their toes on stalagmites.

Machtyn said...

I had a scout camp out at Squire Boone. It was fun, there were probably 300 scouts at the event. Mammoth Cave is always fun. Wyandotte I went to as an Explorer Scout. We went on the 4 hour tour (I think) and got to go in some pretty cool, fairly untouched areas. I believe I've been to KY Down Under, but I have heard of it and Marengo.

Just let Noelle and I know if/when you want to go and we'll be game for it if we can.

Vicki said...

You have totally motivated me to take my kids to the Frazier Arms Museum. They have asked many times. . . .

I'm so glad you got some time with your mom. She sounds/is wonderful.

I'm with you on the "not going anywhere this summer." We've spent/saved our vacation budget for spring and fall breaks and I'm a little sad that we didn't go anywhere as well.

I'm glad you had a great visit with your mom and dad.

Tanya said...

I'm not sure about "non-humid". Maybe for you, but it has been monsoon weather here off and on for the last few weeks. Sounds like a great time. I would love to take you up on your offer on a cave visit. Anytime!

Julie said...

When you list out all the places we visited and things we did, we really had a full schedule. Seeing you guys made the trip the best. Going to the movies to see Mama Mia topped it all off-Danielle had an Abba CD in the car for the ride home from the airport-love you all!

Colorado Oldroyds said...

You have such a cute fam! That is so sad about Mallory's fingers. However, I'm glad you made a post about it. Sophie no longer is allowed to stand on kitchen chairs. The key to girly hair is letting them sit in the sink while you do it. Sophie holds pretty still if we just turn the water on and give her a toothbrush. Can you believe these little girls will be in nursery soon? I remember when Andrew and Gage started nursery.