Friday, June 20, 2008

Going, Going, Gone

Let me preface this by saying this isn't my proudest moment, but one I want to remember (and learn from).

Last week I got quite frustrated with Gage. It was late at night, he shouldn't have been awake, but he just wouldn't go to sleep. Zane was at Scout Camp for the week and I had just had it. I said something to him which I am sure was not in a nice tone and he just stood there and stared at me. Then, he started to cry. He looked up at me and said crying, "you made my heart go away." Can you say crushed? And, I am not talking about my son, but me. I was so sad and I couldn't believe I was the source of not only a broken heart, but one that had completely left his body. It really was so sad to see. But, we hugged and made up and I had since forgotten that cute, but sad phrase until yesterday. Gage came in crying after playing outside with the boys. He was dripping wet and crying. Trying to catch his breath he said, "Trevor made my heart go away." I guess we all have the ability to do it to him and I felt bad again for this little guy because he was again so distraught. What amazes me the most is ability to go from such a feisty, energetic and slightly crazy guy to a tender hearted, sweet little boy who can easily get crushed. I guess the benefit of his wonderful personality is that he is as sensitive as he is outrageous. When it comes down to it, I will take the whole package and I will work really hard at not making his heart go away.

4 comments:

Jen said...

What a sweet story. He reminds me of my Sam (who says "You broke my heart" - to whoever has hurt him). If he is like him, then he probably wears his heart on his sleeve, making it that much easier for it to "go away". What a sweetie!

Tanya said...

Awww!How cute!

Vicki said...

We love GAGE!!! I always felt bad (and still do) when I "loose" it with one (or all) of my kids. But then I try to look at the postive side and show them that I make mistakes too and I need to be forgiven as well (is this rationalizing too much). Anyway, You taught Gage how to resolve a conflict and how to forgive.

Now if they would just learn how to obey then there wouldn't be conflict:)

Olivia said...

Too Cute!