Thursday, January 17, 2008

How My Boys Bond - Chapter 1


Last night Trevor decided to sleep in the room with Boston and Gage. Gage continually came out and when he didn't come out to our room, he locked the door of the room which would lock them in since the lock was reversed - that was a result of Boston's terrible two's that had never been changed back! I finally went in there one last time (of course, it's always one last time) and told Gage not to come and out to stop locking the door. It was getting really late and they needed to be asleep. I went to my room thinking all was well because I didn't hear from them. Zane finally checked on them about 9:45 and thought they were all asleep. Suddenly, he heard a little whimper.."we're just babies...we're just babies...Trevor locked us in and me and Boston and Trevor are just babies....I have to wait until the sun comes up...I want the sun to come up so I can get out..." It was Gage! He wasn't alseep. He was whimpering in his covers because Trevor had locked them all in so that they wouldn't come out and bother us anymore. Gage told us his version and I felt bad that we hadn't checked on them earlier and hadn't unlocked the door before they all fell asleep. Well.. I thought that it was sad, but didn't know the real story until the boys got up for school this morning...

I told the boys what Gage was saying and Boston said, "yeah, we were locked in and when you are locked in and have to go to the bathroom, you just have to go out the window." I thought, "what?" They had just gone to the bathroom right before bed and I knew they didn't have to go. I asked him what he was talking about and he and Trevor told me that when they realized they were locked in they were a bit scared. Trevor had them all say a prayer that we would come and unlock it soon. Then, they all went and sat in the closet for a bit (I'm not sure what that would accomplish) and then Gage and Boston peed out the window. Trevor said, "don't worry mom, we lifted the window high enough and there was plenty of room." Boston said, "yeah, I didn't even hit the bushes, only the dirt." So, it was basically like a 20 minute game of Survivor - less the wilderness, lack of food and water, and competition. As crazy as it sounds, I think they bonded. In Trevor's defense - he realized what he had done right after he locked it and knew he couldn't fix it until we came to get them out. He told me he calmed them all down and got them all to sleep - most of them anyway.

I think Gage was a little scarred from the experience because at 4 am he ran in to my room and said, "mom, guess what?" As I said, "what," he yelled, "never mind," and ran away. That is his newest thing, but at 4 am? What was he thinking and why was he up. He must have been tossing and turning because of his WILD experience perhaps? Who knows. But, if this is what it takes for my boys to work together then just maybe...Actually, Zane is reversing the lock back to it's original state today!

7 comments:

Julie said...

That was a heart-wrenching story...a little hard to keep from laughing but at the same time my heart goes out to the boys and how scared they must have felt. Very ingenious on the elimination situation! Thanks for sharing that.
Love, Mom

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

okay
i was laughing so hard I might have had a bathroom "incident" myself... that is very cute story and Trevor seems like the best big brother to them!
Melissa

Brett and Amy said...

I was laughing so hard and wanted to share it with someone. The only people home though are the kids, and I don't want to give them any alternate bathroom ideas.

Tanya said...

That is something they will never forget. A "remember when" story that will come up as often as stepping in the dog poop behind the Christmas tree story. Well, maybe not that often. Too funny! I agree with Amy. I'd like to share with the kids, but don't want to give them any ideas. They've got enough of their own.

Jen said...

This story is great. Don't you just love being a mom to so many cute little boys!

Cheryl said...

First off- love the new blog look. It's darling!

What a sad/funny story. I know it was a bit traumatic, but they were all together, so it was like male bonding. Trev is just an old soul! He's so responsible and sweet.

And I was laughing so hard at Boston and how he was pleased at how wise he was to pee out the window and not even spill one drop on the floor. Too funny!

Though I won't be sharing this with my boys. WAY too fun of an idea to pass up in their minds!

Brett said...

That was so funny! I've noticed anything to do with bathroom behavior is also a strong bond for our boys. I guess being a girl I just don't get it...:) -- Kristine