Saturday, August 28, 2010

She is Not a Mermaid

We wanted to celebrate the end of summer. Just a swim with friends at their pool. We had done it the week before and had such a good time. We were looking to have that experience again. It went a little differently than planned. Most of the kids were taking a break from swimming to eat lunch or play inside. Mallory asked to have me take off her life jacket and I did because she was done and wanted to play horses with her friend. I was still eating and talking with my friends at a table right by the pool. I got up to check on Mallory when one of the little girls asked me why Mallory was acting weird. Suddenly I saw Mallory's pink bathing suit at the bottom of the pool. I ran in and pulled her out. She wasn't breathing and was blue. Quickly (although it seemed like hours) my friends performed CPR on little Mallory. I was a mess. I couldn't do anything but pace and worry. Soon, she was breathing, but still not doing well. The paramedics, a fire truck and the police showed up. They whisked me and Mallory away to the local children's clinic. Zane and Trevor met us there while my others stayed behind. By the time we got to Kosair's Clinic she was breathing with the help of oxygen. After an examination by the doctor and some xrays, we were told that she would make a full recovery and that she had a little water on the lungs. So, they ambulanced us over to the downtown Kosair Children's Hospital for overnight observation. By 6 that evening, I had her laughing and she had been taken off of oxygen. One of the first things that she said was, "I don't know how to breathe under water like a mermaid. I still am in awe of the entire situation because of all of the help from amazing friends and the miracle of her making it after seeing her looking so far gone. I am daily trying to understand the blessing and trying to learn from the experience. I know that Heavenly Father wasn't ready to have her back with him, yet. And, we are so glad that we get to keep her, for now. I love my children. I love my Father in Heaven. I am thankful for inspired friends and family. My mom flew in the night we came home from the hospital and had that trip planned two weeks in advance. Heavenly Father knew I needed my mom. I did. It was a great comfort. I am thankful for priesthood blessings from Zane. We are all right.

4 comments:

Marla said...

Traci. I read that whole post feeling so, so sick inside. I still can't comprehend how that must've been for you and it hurts me to think about what you must've gone through. I am so grateful that she is fine. What a miracle. You absolutely deserved a miracle. Love you.

Tanya said...

We are so grateful that Mallory is alright. I was just sick when mom called to tell me, but thrilled to find out she would be fine. Thank you, Heavenly Father!!! We love you all!

Julie and Matt said...

I still feel so sick when I think of your experience. I'm so glad all turned out well for your beautiful little Mallory.

Kristi said...

HOLY FLIP Traci. I have been a horrible blogging person and had NO IDEA about this until I talked to Cheryl tonight. I am traumatized from hearing about it. I can only imagine what you went through (and probably are still going through). I still have flashbacks from our rollover. Oh Traci - I'm calling you tomorrow.