Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Our Family Retreat


We signed up to go on a weekend family retreat at The Center for Courageous Kids. It's this amazing camp for kids with illnesses that is supported completely by donations and sponsors. We went for a weekend retreat that was for families with juvinille diabetes. It is in Scottsville, KY which is right outside of Bowling Green. The boys kept asking us what it was going to be like. To be honest, I didn't know. I looked at the website and saw lots of fun things like horseback riding, a lake, a bowling alley, etc., but I just didn't know what would be on the schedule for our weekend. It was amazing. The boys and Mallory just loved it and so did Zane and I. It was jam packed and at the same time, so relaxing. There were 30 families there and many counselors. We had counselors helping us and loving on our kids the entire time. We rode horses, canoed, bowled, danced, fished, made so many crafts, cooked and swam. The boys loved the woodshop the best. You could go in and there were rows and rows of precut wood in different shapes. You could use a wood burner, trace shapes, paint it, glitter that baby up or just stick stickers all over it. Mallory made 5 different things while Boston spent all of his free time there. It helped that our family counselor, Ashley, worked in the woodshop so she kept him under her wing. The boys keep asking when we can go back. A year will be a long time to wait, but definitely worth it.

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Reading your post brought back so many memories of going with my sister. I'm so happy they have these camps for the entire family.

We love the gagers.

Brett and Amy said...

Sounds like so much fun! Can we borrow Gage next year?

Melanie Smith said...

Yah, just keep rotating Gage amongst the family. It's so nice to get a break once in awhile. I'm glad your family had a good time.